It's a busy marathon season and many runners saw their key races disrupted by snow and poor weather but despite this we have seen loads of fantastic performances over the last 3 months over distances from the track right through to marathons.
- Kate Carter cracked the 3 hour barrier at Seville Marathon to run 2:59 in a brilliantly executed race where she pulled together the second she needed to get under 3 hours in the final 2 miles. A fantastic run and we are all incredibly proud of Kate the culmination of many years of hard work and patience. You can read about Kate's race over at The Gaurdian's website here;
- Also racing over the marathon distance was Kim King who has seen fabulous progress as she tackles all of the Marathon Majors in one calendar year. Tokyo was particularly special as it was a huge PB and a case of trusting to effort and where her fitness was at, not about the watch. Kim SMASHED her PB 30 minutes to break the 4 hour barrier! With one more race to go in Boston its been an epic year for Kim and she deserved every bit of this huge performance. Charlie Watson also have a fabulous race in Tokyo with a big 5 minute PB and breaking 3:45 for the first time. Kas Gardiner also had a fine run, building up to VLM. You can read about Charlie's race over on her blog - http://www.therunnerbeans.com/2018/02/tokyo-marathon-race-recap.html
- Manchester Marathon also provided some fantastic performances with Gemma Hockett achieving a fantastic PB to finish 11th in 2:55:47 after a super period training post injury, Gemma has made fantastic progress after working with Nick over the past few months. Huge well done Gemma - self belief and hard training balance with good recovery got you that! This came after a fine run of form including 2nd place at Limassol Half Marathon in 86:19.
- JiJi Mamouri ran a fantastic PB in Paris Marathon running 3:27:04 and Sally Robson also had a great run with 4:17.
- Graham Knight took 10 minutes off his marathon PB to run 2:52 at Seoul Marathon as he consolidate his ultra training of 2017 back into a super PB on the roads.
- Tracy Barlow was back in the GB vest as she raced in the World Half Marathon Championships in Valencia with a super run in very tough windy conditions. Tracy finished with a PB of 72:35 to finish 3rd Brit and 43rd overall. Overall there were some fine performances from GB team overseen by Nick as Team Manager. Tracy's performance came off the back of a solid run at the Big Half to finish in 73:36 and a big new 5km PB of 16:31 to win the hilly Falesia 5km in Portugal. Also back in the GB vest was Louise Damen racing the Great Edinburgh Cross Country 18 years after her first GB vest!
- George King has seen an excellent start to the year with strong progress finishing 38th at the Southern XC Championships, 94th in the National XC Championships, and a fantastic run to finish 56th and 4th scorer for Hampshire at the Inter Counties. George started is road campaign with 3rd at Stubbington Green 10km and followed this up with a win and a PB of 32:02 at Victoria Park 10km run has a hard training effort in a big week. We are excited to see what George will achieve this year!
- It was lovely to see a return to racing for Ian Hunter (19:13) who also raced the Falesia 5km where lots of athletes put in super performances in the middle of our 2:09 Events warm weather training camp including Stewart McAndie (17:05), Ed Rees (17:16), David Woods (17:36), Olivia Matthews (18:08), Lauren Draper (18:09), Kate Towerton (18:26), Sarah Winter (18:59), David Shaw (19:14), Gemma Hockett (19:48), Tamsin Simmons (20:21), Kate Carter (20:21), Kevin Battell (21:04), Emily Mosedale (22:03), Jane Nodder (22:13), Vashti Macdonald-clink (23:31) and Swati Patel (25:40).
- Mandy Dohren was 3rd at Malta Half Marathon in 81:06, Kate Towerton won Kingston Half as a marathon paced training run finishing in 85:12 and Becky Gallop had a fine run to finish 4th at Liverpool Half Marathon in 81:16. Emma Risbey ran well in Cambridge in a big block of marathon training with a steady effort of 83 minutes. Also over the half marathon distance Nick Young got a cracking PB at Brighton Half Marathon to finish in 86:00, Annaka Charters had a super marathon paced run at Paddock Wood for 88:50. Also running well in Brighton was David Shaw to pick up an excellent PB. Michael Joseph had a strong run at the Big Half with a PB and 1:30:03 and Andy land had an excellent run at Inskip Half to finish in 1:31:04. Scott Yule ran an excellent PB in the Big Half with 84:08. Claudia Schroegel had a good run out in Paris Marathon 89:57. Hannah Bowe has been in excellent for as she builds up to Boston Marathon with a highlight being 2nd place and and big PB of 86:49 at the River Thames Half. Chris Newberry had a fabulous run at London Landmarks Half equalling his PB with 1:46:09.
- Simon Goldsworthy had a fine run at the Surrey Half to finish 6th in 70:26 and earlier in the year won Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon in 71:21. Fabian Thehos ran a super PB in Prague Half Marathon to run 85:30. Caroline Tuck had a fine run at Tartly 10 - 9th lady overall in 1.13 and 1st FV50.
- Stewart McAndie claimed a super 10km PB of 34:50 at Battersea Park 10km. PBs over 10km where also achieved by Annaka Charters winning the Olympic Park 10km in 39:22 and Kate Carter at the London Winter 10km finishing 5th in 38:32 - nearly a minute taken off her PB! Rhian Jinny-Jones ran hr fastest parkrun - 18:25 in Cardiff. Rob Tanner has ran a series of fine parkruns has he returns to fitness, in particular 18:01 at Cannon Hill.
- Mel Wilkins has had a fantastic period of racing with a win in the Hampshire XC League cross country, 3rd place in the Welsh National XC Champs, 25th at the Armagh International Road Race over 3km and a fine win at Maidenhead 10 finishing in 57:52.
- Olivia Matthews finished 4th in the National Elite Duathlon Championships with a super performance competing with some of the leading athletes in the UK and Europe and Annabel Gummow saw a fine return to racing with a strong 10k last month as she prepares for Brighton marathon 10k in 2 weeks time in the elite field.
- Sophie Carter was 2nd in the Anglo-Welsh 100km plate running for England and helping the England team to a win finishing in 08:29:42. Also running over longer distances was Morgane Artacho who finished 18th in the 33 mile Deeside Way Ultra in Scotland. Tamsin Simmonds completed the epic Jurassic Coast Challenge with 3 hard off road marathons over 3 days - winning the race.
Susannah Harrison, Tess Gallagher and Cecilia Schirrufo all had super runs at Cranliegh 21. Susannah also having had a fine run at the National XC Champs. Tess ran her fastest half marathon and 10km times for 5 years with fine runs at Stubbington Green 10km and Wokingham Half.
Steve Watmough continues his excellent run of form with 75:25 at Liverpool Half, a win and 57:37 at the British Masters 10 mile champs as well as a top run the British Masters XC Champs. Michael Gilbert had a top run to win Sudbury 5 miler has he builds up a to season of 5km and 10km racing. Theresa Jones had a super run to finish 3rd at Great Barrow Half Marathon and David Woods return from Portugal to run a strong leg at the Livingstone Road Relays.
Chris Goodwin has continued his excellent form with fine runs at Brighton half and a big PB at the Big Half - thanks to Chris' guides for their support. Mike Hewson had an excellent at Thorpe Park half and Sarah Winter ran well in Tunbridge Wells half as a training race as she prepares for sub 3 at VLM.
Martin Williams won the Police UK XC champs as he trains for VLM and the V40 competition. Also building for VLM is Aaron Scott who has spent a period of training hard in Font Romeu after running Stamford 30km in February and Lauren Draper as she targets sub 3.
Plenty more results to come as we approach Brighton and London Marathons!